GES276 - Reims Gueux Grand Prix Circuit
The Reims Geux circuit is triangular based and 4.9miles long. It was used for the first time in 1926 for the second Grand Prix de la Marne organised by the Automobile Club of Champagne. The races ran annually until 1931, after that the French Automobile Club took over and XVIII Grand Prix de l'ACF or French Grand Prix was held. It returned in 1938, and then occasionally until 1950 when the first F1 Championship Season started. The Grand Prix's were held until 1966, when they were moved to the Le Mans track. Other races continued at the Reims Gueux track until 1972, when the track closed due to money problems. The likes of Giuseppe Farina (1st World Champion), Juan Manuel Fangio (5xWorld Champion), Jack Brabham (3xF1 Champion), Graham Hill (2xF1 Champion), Jim Clark (2xF1 Champion) and Jackie Stewart (3xF1 Champion) all raced here. Amusingly the first British person to win here in the 1950 Coupe de Racers 500, was Alfred Bottoms!
The Friends of Circuit Gueux (Les Amis du Circuit de Gueux) now look after the remaining buildings, and have restored them to original condition. The website is somewhat lacking though.
A map of the circuit, with the changes made after 1952. In 1948 Forumla 1 cars were introduced, and the increasing speed of the cars meant that track changes were needed. These were implemented in 1952, and the circuit was renamed 'Circuit de Reims' as it no longer passed through Gueux. The circuit was raced clockwise.
Original posters for Grand Prix's held at Reims Gueux
The home straight as it is today, or the D27 as Sat Navs see it.
It looked more awesome back when it was in use (Image (c) aws-cf.caradisiac.com)
The other end of the main spectator section of the track. The original start/finish line was at the end nearest the camera of the white spectator building on the left.
The out of bounds grandstand with seating positions.
The press box and spectator stands.
The second grandstand
A shot from the past in colour, showing the Grandstand full (Copyright on image)
As with a number of abandoned places visited, a shooting range has been established here, under the grandstand
Tunnel underneath the road between the grandstands. Accessing the out of bounds grandstands can be easily worked out.
The pavillon building
Spectator balcony and Press box
The old pits, where cars were re-fuelled and repaired.
Unfortunately the family Skoda isn't suited to roaring off or achieving G-force down the main straight, so we pootled off to look around Reims and get some lunch.
Props to the Friends of Reims Gueux that keep some of the buildings maintained - Les Amis du Circuit de Gueux